Tuesday, June 2, 2009

goodbyes

Saying goodbye to a place is difficult. Unfortunately I've planned it so that I have to say goodbye several different times. The first time will be Thursday when I move out of my apartment and into Tyler's apartment with both Tyler and Micah.

One of my neighbors, an older widow who only moved in about 2 months ago, found out today that I would be leaving soon. I offered her my coffee maker, which soon turned into her walking through my apartment and asking for more things. It was a little weird, but normal for this culture. A few minutes later I heard her knocking at my door -- she had a dust pan in hand, a temporary gift to help me with my cleaning! About 5 minutes after that she was at my door again but this time with a bowl of homemade noodle and potato soup.

When I returned her dishes she told me that that I could live with her, "juntas," after Thursday if I wanted. :) I politely declined but am still blown away. I wouldn't say that my 10 months here have given me the impression that Hondurans are super hospitable and open, but maybe they are?

I honestly don't know my neighbor well. I can't even remember her name, but it's nice to feel this little sense of community. It's nice to feel like my neighbors might actually miss me a little. It's nice to be noticed. It's nice to not have to make dinner.

No comments: