Wednesday, March 25, 2009

"rise up this morning/smile with the risin' sun/three little birds pitch by my doorstep ..."

I am loving Honduras today.

I did fun activities in all my classes today, I dropped off my laundry this afternoon and now I'm eating a bowl of mango salsa with chips and listening to a Bob Marley/Ben Harper mix -- nothing exactly earth-shattering.

But I also have a lot to look forward to. This Saturday is the opening night of a posh new club/lounge in La Ceiba. There's only one way to get in: personal invitation. And I might just have one. Then, in about two weeks I'll be getting on a bus to go to El Salvador to surf and celebrate Holy Week. I'm so lucky to be living so close to so many different countries.

Here are some recent photos:


A crazy-weird bug I saw outside my door a few days ago. There are all kinds of weird, beautiful bugs hanging out around my apartment building.

While I waited for the ferry to go to Utila I took some pictures around the boat dock. The captain of this boat said I could hitch a ride to the islands for a little as 200 lempiras. I promise that if I do this I wont go alone. :)


In Utila I visited the Jade Seahorse, a bar-restaurant-place-to-stay. It was breathtaking. Imagine the Swiss Family Robinson tree house being built by Antoni Gaudi and you'll begin to get the picture. The Jade Seahorse was recently voted the number 4 bar in the world by Lonely Planet. This is a picture of owner and creator, Neal, in his workshop. He was memorable and sarcastic.


The Jade Seahorse: This picture doesn't begin to do this place justice but I had to put something up to give you at least a little idea of how awesome it is.


While walking around in Utila I found this tattoo artist, Mandy. He operates out of a shop that also sells wooden doors. He does tattoos for as little as 800 lempiras, but don't worry mom and dad, I didn't get one.

1 comment:

Anthony said...

i heard 3 little birds the other day on the radio. it as really wonderful. bob makes me nostalgic