Wednesday, September 10, 2008

the children





"Dia de los ninos,"
that's what Honduras is celebrating today. "It's children's day Ms. Moberly," my students told me. "Let's celebrate by not doing anything."
"It's true that you all act like children," I told them and proceeded to give them more class work.

It's hard to believe I'm almost done with my third week teaching. This week has been especially frustrating. Monday is Independence Day. Honduras celebrates by having all their students march through the streets for about 4 hours. Consequentially, my students have been practicing marching all week. This has disrupted every single one of my classes. Next week we have a few days off and then my classes are really going to start, at least that's the plan.

Despite all the interruptions I am loving my classes. The picture above is of one of my 10th grade classes. They usually greet me every day with, "We love you Miss," or "You look so pretty today, Miss." Who wouldn't enjoy that?! Of course they also know how to drive me crazy.

Tonight I'm going to an event hosted by my seniors. Honduras is playing Jamaica tonight and the students have put together a party to raise money for their senior prom. It costs 20 lemiras (about $1) to enter.

On a different note, my apartment is starting to feel more like home. I went today to try and get the internet set up but as with everything else in Honduras, there is no simple task. Every company has different stipulations, which are hard to understand especially considering the language barrier.

My spanish is getting a little better, but I'm still planning on getting a tutor. Then I'll be able to understand what my students are saying behind my back.

That's all for now, but next week I'm going to see the Copan Ruins! Details and photos to come soon!




2 comments:

abby said...

Em, what email address do you use these days?

Anonymous said...

Miss, I am so sad, why didnt you take a picture of us 10th A students?We love u more...
PASELA BUEN DIA!!
have a nice day