Friday, September 26, 2008

culture shock

Hello. It's me again.

First, I just learned that in order to receive mail at my address (the one I posted a few weeks ago) I have to buy a PO box. They're too expensive so I'm not going to. If you want to send me anything send it to the school where I work. Unfortunately I don't know that address now, but I'll post it next week!.

Right now I'm sitting in Pizza Hut taking advantage of their free internet. The rain is pouring down outside but Maroon Five is keeping the mood light inside.

People who study things like culture shock say that it hits people hardest their third week in a new culture. For me it hit a week later.

I've been in Honduras an entire month now and this past week has been the worst. Nothing horrible happened; just a series of small things that when added together couldn't be ignored:

First, my kids misbehaved all week. They were not only loud, but also rude and outright disrespectful.

Second, the continuous disfunctionality of the school itself was overwhelming. It's near impossible to print anything for class, people are constantly interrupting my class, and the schedule is always changing, but no one ever tells me until the day of, if at all.

Thirdly, a lady cut me in line at Wendy's and didn't show any remorse.

Fourth, the caseta (equivalent to a crappy cafeteria) at school ran out of lunch this week and had absolutely nothing for me to eat except stale Doritos. Plus, the ladies who run the caseta are super grouchy.

Fifth, I still can't speak Spanish and everyone seems to expect me to know it by now. Give me some grace!

Sixth, none of my best friends are here.


As you can see, everything is fine here. There aren't any major problems, just a series of small ones that I can't seem to get over.

But according to the people who study things like culture shock these feelings will fade within a few weeks and leave me feeling even more attached and in love with my new culture.

We'll see.

In other news, I bought internet today. It should be hooked up by Monday or Tuesday, so hopefully my next post will be made from the comforts of my own apartment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

aww ... my emily
no worries girl everything will be fine ..

just keep that head up, i miss you dearly !! and everyone here says hi !!

love you,

Anonymous said...

emily!

suhein and i are working together today, and we miss you... a lot.

things are so hard when you're away from your friends and family, but remember we love you!

and everything will be alright! you seem to be having a good time, this is such a great thing you're doing. take care, i love the blogs and your pics!

much love,

dana

abby said...

don't forget to post your new address when you get it! i have a card waiting to be addressed :) LOVE you!