Thursday, October 30, 2008

Day: 70

Things are looking up here in La Ceiba since I started feeling better. It's been raining non-stop for as long as I can remember (which means about 1 week). Whenever it rains really hard the government issues a "no-school" day. This is great news for everyone who gets to stay home, but we (teachers at Brassavola Bilingual School) have to leave the comforts of our homes and brave torrents of rain and gusty winds in order to be what our bosses deem "productive."

Today I was at school by 6:55 a.m. There were no students so I decided to leave before anyone noticed me. I made it 2/3 of the way home when I was spotted my Senora Castro, my small, quintessential teacher boss. She honked, stopped her car and discussed with me, in Spanish, (while I was still in the rain) why I needed to go back to school. She threatened that the "Treasury" might come to the school and see that I wasn't there and take away my pay. (psh. Yeah right.)

So I had to go back to school. But I made another escape attempt and this one was more successful!

The rains here are beautiful. While having a break from school is a relief, there are many serious problems caused by the rain. Already at least 33 people have died and thousands are homeless. Hard rains aren't new to Honduras. I guess I'm wondering if this many people die every year? How is it that a country in such a rainy climate is so poorly set up to withstand such weather?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with castro!! ive known her all my life, she is apin in the a.., and about our country.. thats Honduras we suffer a lot. Hope you enjoy my country and my city La Ceiba,