Thursday, November 20, 2008

a week in pictures

Flooding

It's rainy season, so the soccer field at school is almost always flooded. It was raining so much Sunday night that school was canceled on Monday. Every morning my alarm goes off and I immidiately turn on the TV, hoping school has been canceled again. It hasn't, but this picture was taken this morning and there's still so much water.




The apartment horse
It was raining lightly when I got back from school today.This horse was trying to stay drive on the front porch ofmy apartment complex. Five minutes later my landlord chased him away.







Flags + Sociology = Fun?
Here in Honduras I teach English and Sociology. My Sociology book is horribly BORING so I've been creating projects for my students. Right now we're learning about culture. Each student is responsible for representing a different country. Each week I assign a new topic (ex: food, family structure, etc.) and the students take turns presenting that info about their country. The flags represent some of the countries my 10B class is studying.


Tools for school
Yep, that's a machete and it's sitting on my desk on top of a bunch of Christmas decorations. I'd be lying if I said it didn't creep me out.















Football is LIFE
Honduras beat Mexico last night, 1-0. Thank God. Seriously. If we didn't win we'd be out for the rest of the season and I'm not sure what Hondurans would live for if there weren't any more games! This is a photo of one of the caravans that took place after the game. When Honduras wins everyone goes CRAZY: cars honk, people shoot guns, and everyone drinks lots of beer. It's literally a riot! It lasts at least until midnight. And although it was a school night, some of my students celebrated until the bell rang this morning at 7.

1 comment:

kris said...

Is the machete for discipline purposes? Maybe it should be.

I'll be praying they win all their
futbol games, just so there'd be something fun to do. By the way, they
say it may rain in San Diego this week! That's when water comes out of
the sky, right?
mom