Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Thanksgiving in Copan: old rocks, new friends, and entertaining fire

Me, in front of Mayan ruins wearing a necklace made by my friend Carolina (see last picture).

This face was carved around 700 AD (i think...although it was so hot and my tour guide was talking so much it's hard to remember exactly).
Beautiful Mayan ruins. They used to play an athletic game here... the captain of the losing team was sacrificed to the gods.
An old, old rock-face in front of the home of the old Mayan kings.

Three boys hanging out in a side street close to my hostel, Iguana Azul.

This woman is sorting beans, but you got to love the cow foot in the background.

A market on the weekend in Copan. I bought a bag of strawberries and oranges.

One of my new friends from Nicaragua performing in El Parque Central of Copan accompanied by the drumming of my new friends from Guatemala.

Add ImageMy friend Carolina and her family. They travel from city to city making and selling jewelry. Every day I was in Copan I'd stop by and visit Carolina for an hour or so; she helped me with my Spanish, I helped her with her English.

2 comments:

Anthony said...

that looks amazing. we never learn much about the mayan ruins in school. i wonder why.

i have been wanting to "follow" your blog. but there isn't a link for it. maybe i'll just keep checking from time to time, like i do anyway.

Anthony said...

a lot of blogs have the "follow this blog" link. but i can't find it on a lot of blogs, including yours. i don't know what you can do about it.