Thursday, December 11, 2008

winding down


I just finished watching Anderson Cooper's "Planet in Peril: Battle Lines." As expected it was inspiring. One again my desire to do journalism here in Honduras is renewed.

I'm doing research for a potentially big story right now, but I wont be able to pursue it fully until next year. I've decided that I need to rework my approach to doing journalism here. I need to focus on getting sources, meeting with locals, and talking to government and organization leaders instead of jumping straight into story ideas. I can't come up with stories all on my own. That's not the point of journalism. I need to reflect the concerns and opinions of the people here, not my own. My lack of Spanish is especially frustrating as I try to do this, but I'm slowly improving. I'll enroll in language school when I return from home in January.

Speaking of coming back to Honduras, I'm waiting for the school to reimburse me for my flight. If they don't pay by Thursday (my last day at school before going home), then I wont be returning to teach in January. (I'll still come back to Honduras, but not to teach.) But I doubt that they wont pay me. I hope they pay me. I'm already looking forward (at least a little) to coming back in 2009.

There's no class tomorrow because it's been raining all day. Businesses are shut down now because the government issued a red alert. For me this isn't very serious because my apartment is away from the river. However, these rains mean certain death and destruction for many more rural parts of La Ceiba. It's hard to be blissfully excited about no school when that is also part of this equation.

No comments: