Wednesday, February 18, 2009

educators

"Education is a companion which no misfortune can depress, no crime can destroy, no enemy can alienate,no despotism can enslave. At home, a friend, abroad, an introduction, in solitude a solace and in society an ornament."
~Joseph Addison, English essayist and poet

Lately I've been thinking a lot about education and the role I should play in my students' lives as their teacher.

Although my life has been relatively short, I've been had many titles: daughter, sister, friend, tour guide, reporter, editor, contributor, intern ... etc., but so far 'teacher in Honduras' has afforded the most challenges. One unexpected factor that surely contributes to the difficulty of my current adventure is the fact that many of my students come from broken families.

Every one of my "problem" students lives separate from their birth father. In a recent assignment about their childhood at least a third (about 30) of my students wrote that the one thing they regretted about their childhood was the fact that their parents split up. Here's what one male student wrote:

"My infancy was a little sad. My parents split up when I was four and because of that my life changed drastically ... It has been hard for me and for my mom. For my mom because she has to fill that space, the space that not even a step-father can fill."

Behavior isn't the only challenge with my students from split parents. A lot of them also have enormous amounts of anger and resentment toward their fathers.

Divorce isn't new to me, but for the first time I see exactly how detrimental divorce is on kids. I don't believe that every divorce is going to irrevocably screw up the kids involved, but it definitely has an effect. And this is where the world's education problems start.

It is my young, inexperienced opinion that the world expects too much from teachers. Teachers today are expected to teach not only their subjects but also discipline, respect and manners. These last lessons aren't supposed to be learned at school. They're supposed to be taught by parents! Teachers are meant to reinforce what is being taught at home.

More than anything I think the world needs more people who are dedicated to being good parents. Teachers play an important, necessary role in society, but they will only be able to accomplish a fraction of their potential in the classroom if parents don't do their job at home.






4 comments:

kris said...

AMEN to that!!!!
As a mom and teacher, I whole-heartedly agree with you. Parents need to see that their main responsibility is their young children- not work, money, status. Once again, you make me proud.

Mama Durso said...

YES!!! This is the ONE thing that I really dislike about being a teacher; every child's shortcomings are blamed on me. "This student isn't doing well in your class, therefore YOU are the problem."

I had a colleague who once made the statement that teachers should be treated more like dentists. You don't blame the dentist for your cavities, you blame yourself for not brushing your teeth and flossing or your parents for not teaching you properly to begin with. Why do we blame teachers for having students who under-perform?

*phew* Basically, I agree with you.

Seth J. Putnam said...

GIRL! I love your insights about this. It's something I've thought a lot about, too, and it's also something that I think that people completely ignore today. Despite all of the successes and abilities of non-traditional and single-parent families, I really feel like there's no substitute for a husband and wife working together to raise their children.

And wait a minute...teaching is harder than being editor of the prestigious Threefold Advocate?? Yeah, right. (I kid, I kid.)

I got your message about your story idea, and I'm trying to make some time to respond. Sorry for my tardiness.

Also, I'm published. Check out my blog for details. And there's another in-depth story that I have a lot to tell you about, but can't until it's published.

Y'all can't ____ with us!

Allison said...

Emily, this is Al from JBU! I just checked out your blog after a long time and I must agree with Kris and say AMEN to this post! Working with problem kids I completely agree. Most of the kids that I work with come from single parent families as well. How, as a teacher, do you juggle all of the feelings that come alongside that?! Rest assured, many people have been experiencing what you are for some time. Keep at it..you're amazing and any little thing you can do to be supportive is a great thing!