Wednesday, April 15, 2009

too many buses

Semana Santa 2009: 11 days, four countries, 15+ buses, 2 boats, almost-deportation

I had a week off of school for Semana Santa and took a surf trip to Playa Sunzal in El Salvador. However, due to some problems with immigration my trip's itenerary faced some changes -- $100 fine, two more countries, and a bunch of bitchy immigration workers. Here's an overview of the highlights:

1. San Salvador --I got into San Salvador Saturday night and went to a Palm Sunday mass in the city's main cathedral.
Outside the cathedral many people sold palm bouquets to be purchased for $1.

Hundreds of people waited outside the Cathedral for a procession of church leaders and church members to arrive.

The church leaders led the procession.
Inside the church. The man carrying a cup was begging for change throughout the service. Some people gave him money, others told him to beg outside.

2. Playa Sunzal -- After church I traveled to the beach by bus (it took an hour and just $0.60). El Salvador has some of the best surf spots in the world! I took a few lessons, but mostly just relaxed in the sand!


Here's one surf spot -- normally the waves were a lot bigger.


Me and my 'maestro del surfear', Pedro. He told me I needed "mas fuerte" for paddling. :) All the surfers here have nicknames -- Pedro's was arobo (or something like that). They named me Perla.

Every afternoon a soccer game would start up on the beach.

One day I went to the fish market in La Libertad. I saw tons of cool fish, but this was the coolest!

Stephan, Micah and Pierre -- my dear companions all week!

3. Immigration Crap
Crossing into Honduras from El Salvador, immigration notified me that I had overstayed my welcome in the region. Apparently my 90 days had expired two days earlier and I would have to pay $114 and go to Belize within five days or face deportation. Sooooo ... I paid $100, took a bus to San Pedro Sula, a boat to Belize (spent one night in Punta Gorda, Belize), took a boat to Guatemala (there were no boats back to Honduras until Friday), and then took a bus from Guatemala to La Ceiba. I only missed one day of school and I'm LEGAL AGAIN!
Me on the boat to Belize. I'm tired. At this point I've been on buses for two days straight with little sleep. But I'm excited for the adventure.

We got our passport stamps for Belize on the boat. It was a holiday so no one was wearing their uniform.

Punta Gorda, Belize.

1 comment:

kris said...

Sounds like one heck of an adventure!
I'll be perusing your blog for more pics in the coming days. Looking for the one with you atop a surfboard (on a wave)! So glad you made it back, Thank you Jesus! Love you, mom