Sunday, July 26, 2009

7-eleven and other musings

Have you ever found yourself at the 7-Eleven soda counter trying to decide which straw to use with your 32 oz. big gulp? The green straw is barely tall enough for the cup, but the red one sticks out of the cup a good four to five inches. As you may have guessed I've faced this dilemma several times. Today I chose the red straw and trimmed it down with scissors. Perfecto!

This little story has nothing to do with why I originally wanted to update my blog.

The original reason I wanted to blog today was to say that I'm considering a career change. I'm not sure I want to be a foreign correspondent (or even a journalism, whoa!) anymore. Here's why: Since I've moved back from Honduras I've been reading/watching the news coverage of the removal of President Mel Zelaya and over and OVER again the journalists get it wrong. The same thing happened with the genocide in Rwanda, the violence in Somalia and probably hundreds of other cases.

SO ... as far as I see it I have two choices: 1) abandon my hopes of being a journalist and find a career more suited for my passions, or 2) pursue journalism with a steadfast commitment to investigation and accuracy.

Awww ... life ... what a confusing game.

4 comments:

Meg said...

em! let's get together and work for our passions and for the world! woo hoo!

Jordan_Ryan_Stewart said...

I've gone through this same exact decision process before regarding Journalism haha.

Jordan_Ryan_Stewart said...

Being a post-Journalism student I wouldn't mind talking to you about it. :)

M.Y. said...

Be a journalist, Em, but be a GOOD one and make reading the news worthwhile! I run into a similar dilemma just seeing American news in general. It's awful!
As for investigative journalism, at least San Diego has voiceofsandiego.org. It hasn't wowed me yet, but it has won a lot of awards... *shrug* Maybe there's hope? At least perhaps a jumping off point...