Monday, July 20, 2009

Jewel


JULY 20, 2009 -- Last night I saw Jewel at Humphrey's. It was amazing. It reminded me why I, in middle school, listened to the "Pieces of Me" CD until it no longer played without skipping.

The same sentiments that appealed to the 13-14 year-old me appeal to the me today: songs about broken hearts and the power of kindness and love to heal a hurting world.

Yes, Jewel is a hippy who sings melancholy chic hits, but her lyrics resonate with the insecurities within each of us -- insecurities that drive us to buy, bUY, BUY things to impress people and make ourselves seem cool.

If you've never listened to Jewel check out these --they're a few of my favorites!

"Deep Water"

"Uncommon Life"

"Stonger Woman"

"Who Will Save Your Soul"

1 comment:

Anthony said...

it was so good, emily. i may die before the final movies are released. also, i'm not going to listen to those jewel songs, no offense.