Friday, July 17, 2009

mediocre

I finished my first week at The San Diego Reader today. It's nice to have a job and my coworkers are awesome. Surprisingly they've shown a real interest in my life and have asked lots of questions. It's these questions that have made me realize how mediocre I possibly might be.

"Oh so you surf?" said one sales rep after I put a pic of waves in El Sal on my computer.
"Well, not really. I'm learning," I answer.

"You play guitar?"
"I took a class in high school and play for fun, but I'm not really any good."

"You were in Honduras a whole year? You must be fluent at Spanish?"
"Not really."

"You have plans for the weekend?"
"Nothing really. I might hang out with friends from my university and on Sunday I'm going to the Jewel concert with my mom."

"So, did you have a serious boyfriend in college."
"No."

"You must've seen a lot of crazy s@#$ in Honduras -- you know, like gangs and political stuff?"
"Not really. That all happened the day I left."

ANYWAY, these questions have made me want to actually finish something. When people ask I want to be able to say, "Yes I do play the guitar and I'm damn good at it."


No comments: