Wednesday, March 11, 2009

third quarter finals

"Too often we give our students answers to remember rather than problems to solve." ~Roger Lewin

Third quarter finals start next week. We're doing reviews this week. Today I gave a review to my sociology class and told them that I wouldn't be collecting it. I told them that completely the review would help them win a review game tomorrow and pass the exam but that I wouldn't be watching over their shoulder to make sure they did it. What happened? About 6 students worked on the review and the rest wasted another 45 minutes of their life.

Lazy.

They said, "Miss, you have to remember what it's like to be in our shoes." I stopped. Thought about that for awhile and realized that I was never like them. I was never that lazy in class. I always cared about my grades and about learning. I was never disrespectful to my teachers.


Good news: After finals I just have one week of school before Spring Break! For Spring Break I'm taking a surf trip to El Salvador!

1 comment:

Anthony said...

surf trip sounds amazing. i probably wasn't that lazy in high school either. especially if i had a study guide that was the exam in front of me for an hour.