Thursday, May 28, 2009

earthquake -- 7.1

This morning at about 2:20 a.m. an earthquake hit La Ceiba --- rumor has it that this was the first earthquake in La Ceiba history. It was a 7.1 on the richter scale. My second floor apartment was swaying back and forth and I kept hearing the sounds of glass breaking in my neighbors' apartments. It was bigger than any earthquake I've felt in California.

Fortunately the epicenter was in the ocean, so very little damage was done. Part of a bridge collapsed, but I don't think there were any fatalities. There may have been one death in the whole country as a result of the quake, but I'm not sure about that (my translation skills while watching local news still aren't super reliable).

School got cancelled today though. I think most people were awake all night so schools were cancelled nationally. Crazy! Imagine if that's what people did in California!

No comments: