Sunday, May 17, 2009

winding down

One month. That's the amount of time I have left in Honduras. Thursday was the last day of school, tomorrow I'm going on a field trip with the seniors and then it's final exam week!

It's been a tough year, but I'll be sad to leave Central America. As I am turning the last pages of this chapter of my life story I've started to search pretty hard for the content of my next chapter. The fact that I'm not 23 seems to put more pressure on actually finding a career. But the truth is I'm more confused about what I should do with my life now than ever.

Here are some people and stories that have been inspiring my career musings:

Aung San Suu Kyi : Burma's pro-democracy leader who was recently moved from house arrest to prison when a confusing American man swam across a lake/river to visit her. She is a Nobel Peace Prize winner and has been called the modern day Ghandi. She has been on house arrest for 13 years.

Shannon Galpin: A single-mom who started a non-profit organization in 2007 to bring education to women and children in Afghanistan. She says that she works so that no one has to feel powerless.

"Slumdog Millionair":
Tonight Dateline had a special about Rubina Ali and Azhar Ismail, two child stars from the film "Slumdog Millionaire" who are actually from the slums of Mumbai.The Dateline special took a look at where those kids are now ... months after the film won Best Film of the Year at the Oscars. It turns out their both back in the slums. It makes me want to visit India.


To close, I want to share a quote that I wrote in my journal months ago. It's not specifically related to anything else in this post, but I feel like it's still relevant.

"As the glow of a coal depends upon its remaining in teh fire, so the vitality, the psychic security, the very humanity of man depends on his integration into a family." -- John V. Taylor

1 comment:

kris said...

I like your quote. good insight there!
praying for the next chapter
mom