Wednesday, January 21, 2009

beauracracies

Got the sh#$ kicked out of me today at work. And not by my students, as you might suppose. Instead the deadly blows came from my short, quintessential-teacher-looking, Mormon boss.

It all happened around 8:45 a.m. I had managed to get my 10 B class quiet and reading. The lights were dim and sigu ros was lulling them into an unusual state of calm. Then, SWOOSH! My boss barges in the door. First it's to complain about mistakes with my grades. Then she notices that one of the students is wearing the wrong socks (we have uniforms). She proceeds to yell (in Spanish) and shake her head disapprovingly at both of us. Then she has the brilliant idea of inspecting EVERYONE in my class. She drags four boys and me outside the classroom and again yells and nods disapprovingly. All the while I'm trying to accomplish my first silent reading hour. It was going well before she came.

Why did she disrupt my class and completely disregard any thought for MY classroom rules? Why did she decide, AT THAT MOMENT, to deal with a very important issue like uniform when I myself was finally having a good class?

When I have the answers to those questions (and hundreds others like it) hell might as well have frozen over.

2 comments:

Anthony said...

my friend worked as a clown in a small circus. i believe it was in chicago.

Mama Durso said...

Administrators in the US are like that too. My students were taking a test, a TEST! and my principal comes in and starts patting them on the shoulder saying, "You can do this" and other motivational phrases. I had finally gotten them to stop talking to one another and he just made it worse. *le sigh* Such is the life of a teacher.