Friday, January 30, 2009

students have problems too (& a few more circus pics)

Today was report card day.

Here in Honduras we handle grades differently. We cancel classes and invite (require) parents to come to school to pick up their child's grades.

I was fortunate to have only one parent mad at me. She wanted to know how I could say that her son was helpful in my class and then only give him a "GOOD" for conduct. Apparently to these parents "GOOD" doesn't really mean good. After she interrogated me the homeroom teacher lectured me and told to give out more "VERY GOODs" and "EXCELLENTs" next quarter.

Most of the parents were really nice though and I learned a lot about my students. Sometimes with all the challenges I'm dealing with I forget that my students are going through crap too. For instance, two of my students just found out that their dad, who's currently working in the U.S., is divorcing their mom and already engaged to another woman.

So many of my students have one or both parents in the States. One of my best students told me that he would trade everything to be with his mom. Another one of my students told me that women are really important to him and he wants to treat them really well, to be different from his dad.

I wish I could just be my students' friend. Being their teacher is too much responsibility. I'm better at just being a friend or mentor.

Anyway, after a morning with parents I went for a run and then delivered newspapers with my circus article to my friends at the circus. They loved it! I'm becoming a well known face aroudn the circus. Here are some photos that I took before leaving:








Brave or stupid? My circus friend grabs the tail of a tiger.

3 comments:

RosaMaría said...

Qué fotos tan bonitas, te felicito

RosaMaría said...

Yes, vivo en Argentina, I not speak inglish, bat the comunication is important.
Tanks four visit mi blog.

Anthony said...

A. stupid.

also, zoos make me really depressed. animals don't belong in cages. i hope they are treated well.